Thursday, February 7, 2008

Recycling Roadtrip

In keeping with the theme of yesterday's post, here's a video about where your trash and recycling goes. According to the recycling truck driver featured in this video, about 30% of what people put in their recycling bins cannot actually be recycled. Yet another reason to buy less stuff!

Watch the video here. (Note: the video is 5-10 minutes as far as I recollect)

What also struck me about this video is the point the woman makes about joke gifts---I love joke gifts and have bought and received so many over the years, but they tend to be stuff that's funny but not at all useful. I'm going to re-think giving joke gifts and from now on make sure it's something useful or edible, not something that will end up in a landfill. The other thing is, sometimes I'm tempted to buy things because I think one of my friends or family members would get a kick out of the item. From now on, I think I'll just snap a picture of the item (or find one online), email it to the person, and tell them that the item made me think of them.

2 comments:

Gabi said...

I am always on my "recycled" soapbox about trash and needless waste- including over-packaged products. Thanks for posting this!
xoxo

Wendy said...

That's one of the several reasons I wish my husband's family would stop insisting on so many Christmas presents. Too often they turn out to be something without a real use. It seems like money wasted and more trash piled up (as if we need more of that). At least gift cards are recyclable. :)