Friday, August 10, 2007

Casualty Count

Mercury is definitely adapting well to life in the suburbs. She likes to spend as much time as possible outside, though we keep her in at night just in case there are any predators. On Tuesday night D didn't get much sleep as he woke up 3 times worried about the kitty who hadn't come in for the night.

One thing I don't like about Mercury being outside is her newly discovered instinct for hunting. So far she's gotten 2 mice, a vole, and an oriole. She just leaves them in the lawn for us to discover at a later time (which I guess is better than bringing them into the house). She has a jingle on her collar which should alert the wildlife that she's coming, but I guess it hasn't. I'm not that surprised at her ability to get the mice and vole, but the oriole was a shock! It must have been one dumb or slow bird. I guess that's how survival of the fittest works.

No comments: