Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Oh What a Beautiful Morning!

This morning was one of those mornings where I just really appreciate being alive. I sand along to John Denver* on the way to work and I'm not sure whether it was his music that inspired me to notice all of the wonderful things around me, or if it was just the seasonal weather and sunshine.

As I left the neighborhood, I noticed the bleeding hearts blooming in a neighbor's garden. Then, I found myself smiling at a cop directing traffic on the corner. Further along, I smiled to myself seeing a man, a baby, and a black lab accompanying a child at the bus stop. The next thing that made me smile was an older man wearing a Red Sox jacket and hat walking through the center of town**. Finally, I stopped for a bus and watched about 10 elementary school children board--one of them was carrying some kind of school project--a diorama.

It was just a wonderful morning and I hope the day continues as well. I think I take extra pleasure in mornings like this because there have been many times that nothing--not even these small wonderful things--could bring a smile to my face. I have depression that has been treated for the past 10 years with varying degrees of success. For the past year and a half I haven't had a depressive episode which is really something to smile about. The main thing I credit for this is D--being together has made me feel secure, stable, loved, and happy. It's an incredible feeling, and one that I have so much appreciation for. My life has changed so much for the better since I met him 3 years ago, and since we married 1 year ago.

* I now sing to the baby every morning on the way to work and most evenings on the way home. The car is packed with some of my favorite "sing-along" CDs like Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Indigo Girls, James Taylor etc. Today's selection of John Denver is an especially good sing-along...I remember going to a John Denver outdoor concert 23 years ago with my family--I can pinpoint the exact summer because I remember getting a caramel apple knowing it was the last one I would have before getting my braces put on!

** The town center I drive through on the way to work consists of a country store, a library, an ATM machine, and a small real estate office all situated around a rotary (for those not from Massachusetts, a rotary is a traffic circle).

1 comment:

Christina Lane | The Sometimes Crafter said...

It's so nice to have good days! I had never suffered from depression until about 3 months into the pregnancy and luckily snapped out of it around 6 months. It was awful. I never want to feel that way again. I'm so glad to hear you've had such a long run of feeling good! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that PPD isn't too horrible. I hope you continue to have a beautiful week!